Tuesday after 3PM
Friday after 7PM
Monday after 5PM
EducationMarymount University, Arlington, Virginia, August 2001 with honors: Masters in Education.
Mount Hermon Writer’s Conference, Mount Hermon, California, March 1997: attended professional classes/workshops, met with editors, publishers and published authors.
King College (became King University, 2/13), Bristol, Tennessee, May 1990: Dual Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and History.
Universitaet Klagenfuhrt, Klagenfuhrt, Austria, June, 1990: ‘college abroad’ program for one semester in German studies.
East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tennessee, 1991: post-graduate work in German.
Albrecht Duerer Hochshule, Berlin, West Germany, 1985: foreign exchange student.
Experience* Veteran teacher of 16 years (Washington and Sullivan Counties, TN; New Hanover County, NC)
* Experience teaching RTI, Pre-K, 2nd, 4th, 6th, 7th and 8th, as well as high school.
* Tutored many students after school.
* Taking a break from teaching this year due to family caregiving.
* Tutoring because I love helping students learn to their optimum level. Teaching is not simply an occupation but a calling for me.
* Scored 4 on AP American History exam
* Worked on Capitol Hill (1992-1998) - Senate, House of Representatives and Committee experience .
* Camp Counselor, Camp Bennett, Olney, Maryland, Summers 1998 – 2000:
Mentored inner-city youth in various projects and activities. Tutored at New York Avenue Presbyterian Church, 1996: Worked with inner-city children to improve and maintain grades at C+ levels and above.
* Youth Services Department, Children’s Library Assistant (2000 - 2002). I developed teen programming, including the Young Adult Web Page, VolunTEENS and Teen Advisory Board (TAB). I designed library and literary projects that appealed to teens. I scheduled and supervised up to 40 VolunTEENS, as well as having oversight of VolunTEEN and TAB meetings. I recruited teens by visiting area schools to promote young adult programming. I was involved in original writing efforts (i.e. writing workshops, poetry contests, etc.) and displays for our web site (www.jcpl.net), plays, puppet shows and other library events (lock-ins, etc.). Produced the Summer Reading Programs for Teens, Senior High Coffee House, Mystery Night at the Library, and Movie Night at the Library forums as entirely new programs for the JCPL
HobbiesINTERESTS: Reading, writing, photography, music, traveling, cooking, gardening, sports and church (extensive volunteering – community outreach, food pantry, bookstore)
Favorite sport is ice hockey - Go, Caps! I personally enjoy ice skating, volleyball and hiking when I'm out and about.
Favorite beverage - Coffee!
I have two four-pawed babies - Olive and Vivienne (cats, of course, but I am an equal opportunity animal lover).
European History, Creative Writing, 3rd Grade, 2nd Grade, 1st Grade, Vocabulary, Writing, World Civilization, World History, US History, Social Studies, Poetry Writing, Political Science, Middle School, History, 10th Grade Reading, Civics, AP European History, AP U.S. Government & Politics, AP United States History, AP World History, American History, 8th Grade Writing, 8th Grade Reading, 7th Grade Reading, 7th Grade Writing, 6th Grade, 5th Grade, 4th Grade, 10th Grade Writing
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.